Tuesday, November 01, 2005

EPSTEIN RESIGNS

(Globe File Photo / Michele McDonald)
SHOCKER...EPSTEIN'S GONE
I know this is old news, sorry about the lack of updates... The story behind the lack of updates is that this stupid Blogger software is unbelievably frustrating, and I had a whole column written up on Monday, and the whole thing was erased... Needless to say I was a little pissed off... This is all that I have left from that day :
Don't know how to react to this one, really don't. I actually first found out about this yesterday afternoon, right after getting back from the gym. I flipped on ESPN, and they had Peter Gammons on. I wasn't paying too much attention, but while untying my shoes I looked up at the screen a couple of times, and it said "Theo Epstein resigns." I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention or what it was, but I thought it said he had re-signed. I didn't give it too much though, as I had read previous reports throughout the past couple of days that Theo was going to come back. I also remember reading somewhere that the deal was done, and they just weren't going to announce it until after the weekend because of an agreement with the Patriots on not to release important information during the weekends. So I get out of the shower, and Gammons is still on, and now I'm starting to think, wait a minute, something's not right here. I turned the volume up, and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing, or that this actually happened. Oh boy, this is not going to be good for the Sox.
First, lets run down the coverage that the media has given to the event:
-On ESPN.com we have a story by Sean McAdam: Sox wondering where they went wrong with Epstein
Well... That's where things went wrong... so now, just yesterday, Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe had a really great piece on the Epstein saga, Getting in the Last Words, and how we still don't know why he walked away from the job, even after his press conference ... I found this little passage from that story as a great way of summing up this whole ordeal...

"What we do know is that Henry is 100 percent correct in declaring Epstein's
exit to be a ''great, great loss" to the franchise and the fans. In a business
of egos and ruthlessly ambitious people, Theo was a refreshing exception to the
rule. Henry related how, as an assistant GM to interim boss Mike Port, Epstein
had actually lobbied for Henry to hire Billy Beane and J.P. Ricciardi. ''I said
to him, 'You want both these guys to be ahead of you?' " Henry marveled. ''That
was an early indication to me as to just how unselfish he was and how he was all
about the Boston Red Sox." -Bob Ryan's article, Getting in the Last Words

To go off on a side note here, that Ryan article surely proves why he is one of the best in the business. I can't remember one column that he has written where I have gone, wow, that sucks. Or wow, I don't really agree with with. He has this brilliant characteristic of always finding the side of the story that no one else really touches on. He has a great knack for always finding the "good" in any given situation. It's a breath of fresh air for sports journalism, because 9 times out of 10, sports journalists are writing about the negative, writing about whats wrong. But with Bob Ryan, his writing reflects whats good about sports, and I truly enjoy reading his writting. The only other write that I feel the same way about is Rick Riley from Sports Illustrated. Both of these men are geniuses in my mind... Anyway... On to the Theo saga...

Well, he's gone, and I can't say that I saw this one coming. I thought he'd re-sign for sure just like everyone else did. But Bob Ryan does ask a good question, why are you not coming back? If it wasn't Lucchino and it wasn't the chain of command, then what was it? I just can't believe that at 31-years-old, he would be burned out. Maybe the pressure? I doubt it. He seemed like a good kid, a brilliant kid, who hadn't really been fazed in public since coming to the Sox. The only conclusion I can come to is that it had to involve something with Lucchino. It just had to be. Though they have been together for years, something must have happened... I don't know, wish I did...

So now what? Who do the Sox turn to now? I have no clue, and most of the name that are out there don't sound too appealing to me. Brian Sabean from the Giants would be one guy I'd like the Sox to look at, but other than him, no one really jumps off the paper at me. How about me? I'd like to have that job, maybe I'll send in a resume. Whatever... I'm off for the day, look forward to more frequent updates, I promise..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home